The Oregon Biz Report - Business News from Oregon

Read about accutane journal moderate acne here

Hollywood Video back from the dead — to collect late rental fees

February 8, 2012

Press Pause on Faulty Video Rentals
By Better Business Bureau,

Former customers of Hollywood Video allege that they are now receiving collection calls and notices from Universal Fidelity LP regarding past-due movie rentals and fees associated with unreturned movies. Most complainants say that fees are excessive and debts are unfounded; some fear that false information may be submitted to credit reporting bureaus.

In a 2011 settlement, similar allegations were brought against National Credit Solutions (NCS) and Credit Control Services, collection agencies which were initially contracted by Hollywood Video and Movie Gallery after the companies filed bankruptcy in 2010.

While collection companies are within their legal rights to collect legitimate debts, Better Business Bureau serving Alaska, Oregon and Western Washington urges consumers to pause before paying:

Rewind: Get proof of balances due to unreturned movies or unpaid late fees.
– Request written proof of debts: By law, collection agencies must provide validation notices within five days of contacting consumers about debts.
– If calls inaccurately claim unreturned rentals: Video stores often do not provide return receipts, so write down all of the details: movie names, video store locations and return dates.
– If old late fees were already paid: Try to locate documentation”such as receipts, old check records, and credit card or bank statements.

Eject: Contest invalid debts. Contact any involved parties to clear up discrepancies.

•Contact the location: If it is a closed branch or franchise, try contacting the corporate headquarters to find out if they can address account problems. Be prepared to provide all relevant information. Consumers with complaints on Hollywood Video and Movie Gallery can email

•Communicate with debt collectors: Write letters to collection agencies; dispute charges, state your case and include supporting documentation. Send letters via certified mail with return receipts.

•Check credit reports: Visit to review credit reports on a yearly basis. Dispute false debts with the three major credit bureaus.

Stop: If issues are not resolved, file complaints with the Federal Trade Commission at, Better Business Bureau at, and the state Attorney General’s office. Visit BBB’s site for more tips on debt collectors.

Print This Post Print This Post    Email This Post Email This Post

Discuss this article

no comments yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Please answer the following question to confirm that you are a real person: *

Top Business News


Top Natural Resource News


Top Faith News


Copyright © 2019, OregonReport. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use - Copyright - Legal Policy | Contact Oregon Report

--> --> -->