September 27, 2018
September 27, 2018
Oregon Brewer’s Guild,
Oregon breweries claimed a total of 22 medals at the 2018 Great American Beer Festival (GABF) held September 20-22nd in Denver, Colorado.
Oregon Breweries brought home 5 gold medals, 10 silver medals and 7 bronze medals.
The Portland Metro area won 8 medals, Central Oregon won 8 medals, the Willamette Valley won 3 medals. Mt. Hood/The Gorge won 2 medals and the coast region won one medal.
The GABF is the world’s largest beer competition and recognizes the most outstanding beers that were entered into the competition from the United States.
The top three medalists in each of the competition’s 102 beer-style categories were announced September 22nd at the 32nd GABF Awards Ceremony held at the Colorado Convention Center.
The 2018 GABF Competition winners were selected by an international panel of 293 beer experts from an world record breaking field of 8,496 competition entries received from 2,404 U.S. breweries.
Items of interest from the 2018 GABF Competition:
Mid-Size Brewing Company of the Year
15,000 – 6,000,000 barrels produced in 2017
pFriem Family Brewers – Hood River, OR; Brewmaster: pFriem Family Brewers Team
Alesong Brewing and Blending of Eugene and 10 Barrel brewing tied for the most number of medals with 3.
Ground Breaker Brewing of Portland has one a medal in the Gluten Free seven years running.
Beers winning medals at the previous G.A.B.F. and won again in 2018
Sweet As Pacific Ale, GoodLife Brewing Co., Bend, OR
Dark Ale, Ground Breaker Brewing, Portland, OR
Fuzztail, Sunriver Brewing, Sunriver, OR
Cinder Beast, Sunriver Brewing, Sunriver, OR
Stonefly Session Ale, Three Creeks Production, Sisters, OR
Mid-Size Brewing Company and Mid-Size Brewing Company Brewer of the Year
pFriem Family Brewers Hood River, OR
pFriem Family Brewers Team
Category 1: American-Style Wheat Beer – 54 Entries
1. Gold: Sweet As Pacific Ale, GoodLife Brewing Co., Bend, OR
Category 2: American-Style Wheat Beer with Yeast – 37 Entries
2. Silver: Fuzztail, Sunriver Brewing, Sunriver, OR
3. Bronze: Hefeweizen, Widmer Brothers Brewing, Portland, OR
Category 4: Fruit Wheat Beer – 103 Entries
4. Gold: Passionate Envy, 10 Barrel Brewing Co., Bend, OR
Category 13: Specialty Beer – 55 Entries
5. Silver: Double Stack, Great Notion Brewing, Portland, OR
Category 16: Session Beer – 50 Entries
6. Bronze: Stonefly Session Ale, Three Creeks Production, Sisters, OR
Category 19: Experimental Beer – 112 Entries
7. Silver: Terroir Pinot Noir, Alesong Brewing & Blending, Eugene, OR
Category 21: Gluten-Free Beer – 38 Entries
8. Bronze: Dark Ale, Ground Breaker Brewing, Portland, OR
Category 25: Brett Beer – 61 Entries
9. Silver: Terroir Pinot Gris, Alesong Brewing & Blending, Eugene, OR
10. Bronze: Touch of Brett Mandarina, Alesong Brewing & Blending, Eugene, OR
Category 26: Mixed-Culture Brett Beer – 77 Entries
11. Gold: Druif, pFriem Family Brewers, Hood River, OR
12. Bronze: Coming to Fruition: Cherry, Oregon City Brewing Co., Oregon City, OR
Category 41: German-Style Pilsener – 159 Entries
13. Silver: Pilsner, pFriem Family Brewers, Hood River, OR
Category 44: Dortmunder or German-Style Oktoberfest – 67 Entries
14. Silver: Freiheit Oktoberfest Wiesn, Wayfinder Beer, Portland, OR
Category 55: Classic English-Style Pale Ale – 33 Entries
15. Gold: Pale Ale, Omission Brewing Co., Portland, OR
16. Silver: MacTarnahan’s Amber Ale, Portland Brewing – Portland, OR
Category 56: English-Style India Pale Ale – 50 Entries
17. Silver: Silverspot IPA, Pelican Brewing Co., Pacific City, OR
Category 57: Australian-Style Pale Ale – 46 Entries
18. Silver: Strata IPA, Worthy Brewing Co., Bend, OR
Category 68: Imperial Red Ale – 45 Entries
19. Bronze: Cinder Beast, Sunriver Brewing, Sunriver, OR
Category 77: Berliner-Style Weisse – 115 Entries
20. Gold: Baywindow, 10 Barrel Brewing Co., Bend, OR
Category 93: Robust Porter – 91 Entries
21. Gold: Lomporter, Lompoc Brewing – The 5th Quadrant, Portland, OR
Category 96: American-Style Stout – 43 Entries
22. Silver: P2P, 10 Barrel Brewing Co., Bend, OR
no comments yet